Saturday, July 13, 2013

Singer Aretha Franklin cancels Michigan concert

Related News

  • Country singer Randy Travis in critical condition after heart procedure

    Tue, Jul 9 2013

  • Michael Jackson's nephew testifies singer was humble family man

    Thu, Jun 27 2013

  • Book asks if Bruce Springsteen helped bring down the Berlin Wall

    Wed, Jun 26 2013

  • Apps pinpoint locations of nearby concerts for music lovers

    Mon, Jun 24 2013

Analysis & Opinion

  • Pope Francis 'snub' of concert stuns cardinals and sends them a signal

Related Topics

  • Entertainment »
  • Fashion »
  • Music »
Singer Aretha Franklin performs during a tribute concert to composer Marvin Hamlisch in New York September 18, 2012. HREUTERS/Lucas Jackson

Singer Aretha Franklin performs during a tribute concert to composer Marvin Hamlisch in New York September 18, 2012. H

Credit: Reuters/Lucas Jackson

LOS ANGELES | Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:37pm EDT

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Soul music superstar Aretha Franklin on Friday canceled an upcoming concert in Michigan, citing recovery from health issues that forced her to postpone concerts earlier this year.

Franklin, 71, said in an open letter to her fans that she was canceling her July 27 show at the DTE Energy Pine Knob Theater in Clarkston, Michigan, due to "miscalculation" of the end of her treatment.

"It would be totally disruptive to stop them now and go into concert with total success right at the door," Franklin said.

Franklin and her representatives did not disclose the nature of the singer's illness.

"Aretha fully intends to get back to her full schedule of work as soon as she can," the soul singer's publicist David Brokaw said.

The "Queen of Soul" had postponed the same Michigan concert in June, along with other shows in Chicago, Connecticut, Ottawa and Montreal, Canada. The other shows had not been rescheduled.

Franklin, a towering figure in popular music during the 1960s and 1970s with a long string of hits including "Respect" and "Chain of Fools," had also been forced to cancel a concert tour in 2010 to undergo surgery for an undisclosed health issue.

(Reporting by Piya Sinha-Roy; Editing by Mary Milliken and Philip Barbara)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/

Comments (0)

Be the first to comment on reuters.com.

Add yours using the box above.


Source : http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/reuters/entertainment/~3/nxICY6HnUlo/story01.htm